Would You Buy a Pink Team Jersey?

I know many women who love sports, especially football. Like male fans, they enjoy wearing jerseys with their favorite team player’s number. That I understand. What I find intriguing is that they often choose a pink jersey over the team’s colors. I have lots of shirts besides sport teams that I love in various shades of pink, but if I’m supporting a team, I want to do it in their colors, whether I’m buying team merchandise that are shirts, sweat suits, outerwear, shoes or jewelry. But that is a personal preference, not a rule of marketing.

To me, color is part of the team logo. I know the dark blue and silver with a lone star represents the Dallas Cowboys, just as I know that green and gold are the Green Bay Packers’ colors. I pondered whether people would know I was wearing Tony Romo’s number if I’m wearing the pink version unless, of course, I’m Jessica Simpson.

I was fascinated that the NFL made so much merchandise in pink. So I asked an expert about it. Susan Rothman, Vice President-Consumer Products, Apparel at the NFL, explained that she thought pink NFL jerseys sold so well because “a number of women like the fact it is distinctly feminine. Others don’t particularly like their team’s color as a fashion item in their closet.” Susan added that she gets a lot of emails from women who thank her for having women’s merchandise in their team’s colors that is specifically made for them. Believe it or not, it wasn’t that long ago when women had to buy men’s products to have team merchandise.

The NFL keeps adding new products and many people enjoy the variety of options and ways they can support their home team. With so many choices available these day, buying merchandise is fun. I love that you can even get Crocs in team colors. Women can adorn their necks, wrists, fingers and ear lobes with colorful tokens showing their support for the home team.

Below are just a few things I thought were fun as well as functional.

Green Bay Packers Women’s
Stripe Knit Gloves

Crocs NFL Beach
Minnesota Vikings Adults

Pittsburgh Steelers
Fanatics Purse

What are your thoughts? Would you buy yourself or someone else a pink jersey or would you stick with the traditional team colors?

12 Responses to “Would You Buy a Pink Team Jersey?”

1. Laura Boyd says:

I like both options. Most of my ‘fan attire’ is in team colors. I have one pink item and I love having it to have a change. Mostly I am delighted when I don’t have to wear the oversized, ankle length T-shirts in men’s sizes to show my support!

2. Personally, I’d wear the team colors. But I’m a pretty die-hard fan.

I’m not a fan of pink, but I can see if your team colors are truly not “fashion friendly” than another, better color might be a nice option. (think Reskins and that godawful maroon and gold.)

3. I love buying pink fan attire. I have a pink Red Sox sweatshirt and a pink Brandeis sports shirt.

4. Comments From Many says:

Hi Gerry, I followed the link and what an interesting item. Love the blog and the topics you are covering!
    Hope all is well on your end.
    Nancy

I already have two pink jerseys!
    Mercedes will not wear a pink jersey – she only wants the team color
    Regards,
    Deborah R. Gagliardi, AIA, P.E.

5. Muriel says:

Hi Gerry, No pink football jerseys for me. I love team colors…the silver and blue of the Cowboys, the black and gold of the Steelers…even the putrid orange of the University of Tennessee. I would buy a pink WNBA jersey. Team colors don’t seem to be one of their priorities. Go figure.

6. Gerry says:

very cute. but my group of friends are into football.
    if i think of women that would be I will pass it along.
    too bad my Cassy doesnt like pink it would be perfect her.
    Paula

7. Kimmie says:

I love pink and the fact that I can buy and wear a pink jersey to a Cowboy’s game. I like a woman’s cut over a big guy’s cut. Once in a while I want to get a pink feel going on and in an ocean of Blue and Silver, the pink is fun. It is also nice to have on our Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Race For The Cure day. And did any of you know that many of the the NFL teams are so supportive? Check it out — http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80b4eda7&template=without-video&confirm=true

8. University of California: Graduates, 1864-1905 (1905)Literature-A to Z.

9. Fantastic post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am having a hard time getting my subscribers to leave comments. They are coming to the site but I have the feeling that “nobody wants to be first”.

10. Your suggestion is, but for me difficult to achieve, but I will try to change

11. sharon sangster says:

YES!! That is the reason i am responding to the question. I have been trying to buy a Pink B-Ball jersey and shorts for months now. I must admit i would prefer it in a dark pink though. Thanks

12. lol, i love Tony Romo! Unlike many who want to kill him.I actually wish that he has the best season of his career yet. This goes for Dwight Freeny and the rest of the cowboys aswell.